Aldgate Stompin’ the Blues
Drop In Class
Cash or class card only
Aldgate Stompin’ the BluesTuesday
Join the Stompin’ the Blues team every Tuesday for Blues dancing lessons.
Class 1 | 7.00pm – 8.00pm
If you’ve never danced blues before or if you have danced for years, come to this 1 hour class! We will focus on learning the fundamentals of blues dancing: the pulse, dancing with a partner, leading and following, the basic dances and some fun variations so you can show off on the dance floor! The classes are drop in and there is no need to book, just come along!
Class 2 | 8.10pm – 9.10pm
In this hour, get ready for a challenge. We will explore blues dancing in more detail, and work together on how to make your blues dancing more awesome
Taking more than one class on the same evening? Your second class is half price — just £5!
Social Dancing | 9.10pm
For the first half hour of the social dancing, the teachers will be available to answer any questions you may have about the lessons or blues dancing in general.
Checklist for attending class:
Based on feedback from our community of Blues dancers, for the time being we are asking you to kindly:
· Please do not attend the class(es) and/or social dancing if you suffer from covid-19 symptoms or recently tested positive
To help keep our community healthy, please bring your COVID pass: either evidence of vaccination or a negative LFT within the last 24 hours.
· Wash or sanitise your hands before each class and social dancing
· Feel free to wear a mask during class if you feel more comfortable (however, masks are not required)
· Let us know if you would prefer partnering with a single person (we will be rotating partners in class, by default)
· Respect other people’s boundaries and concerns
· Please bring cash or your class card to pay for classes as we do not have a credit card machine (yet)
· Space will be ventilated with fresh air as much as is allowed by the design of the building and a comfortable temperature to dance
Stompin’ the Blues takes place at The Castle in Aldgate. We love getting to dance in this space so make sure you show your appreciation by buying a drink at the bar!
What is blues dancing?
Yes, the rumours are true… blues is a dance style! Like swing dance, Blues dance evolved from African rhythms and movements. However blues dancing was never widely practiced as a social or performance dance; it developed in smoky juke joints and at blues house parties and rent parties, giving it a more intimate feel.
Blues dance is all about interpreting and expressing the music. Many aspects of Blues dancing such as call and response, emotional intensity, and tension and release are directly related to the music. If you love blues music you’ll love blues dancing!
Blues dancing is very new to Europe, but is a growing scene and going through a particularly exciting time in London at the moment. Join us on the blues journey, and become addicted to this beautiful dance.
- 1 Level 1: 7:00
- 2 Level 2: 8:10
- £10 for the first class, £15 for both lessons.
The dance floor is located upstairs and is only accessible by stairs.
WhereThe Castle, 44 Commercial Rd, Aldgate, London E1 1LN, UK