Fun, friendly dance classes all over London & Brighton. Find your nearest class…
Down and Outs audition 2019!
DOWN AND OUTS AUDITION
THE DOWN AND OUTS BLUES TROUPE IS AUDITIONING!
WHEN? Thursday 31 January 2019 19:30-22:30
HOW TO REGISTER? Please complete this questionnaire: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AjnBwMLdVIktn1m19CpjODNz7t9vX52MS0R2hCcyAXI
The Down and Outs are looking for some more dancers to join their team of blues lovers! You need to be a confident blues dancer already, enthusiastic about learning routines and interested in improving your performance skills. Please read all the information below and then complete the form to register for the audition!
WHO ARE THE DOWN AND OUTS?
The Down and Outs are Swing Patrol’s (and Europe’s!) first blues troupe! They are blues lovers who train together to develop their dancing and create choreographies to be performed in London and at events across Europe. The Down and Outs troupe is run by a committee of Down and Outs chaired by Anna Price, and there is a big emphasis on self-motivation and peer learning.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The Down and Outs meet fortnightly on Thursday evening from 7.30-10.30pm.
Sessions may be run by the choreographer of the routine, be peer training sessions or be run by guest teachers to learn new skills. Recent guest teachers include Ruth and Mike who choreographed a routine for us, Cat Foley teaching performance skills, Mike Legenthal teaching advanced blues aesthetic, as well as guest teachers teaching other related dance styles.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM BEING IN THE DOWN AND OUTS…
- Fortnightly sessions to improve your dance technique (which are lots of fun, of course!)
2. Workshops to improve your performance skills (definitely fun, often bordering on ridiculous!)
3. Working as part of a team to learn and help create new choreographies
4. Opportunities to perform in London and abroad
5. Opportunities to learn from guest teachers teaching a wide variety of dance styles
6. Support and feedback from other troupe members. We like to think of the troupe as a family, helping to support and encourage each other.
WHAT THE DOWN AND OUTS WILL EXPECT FROM YOU…
- A love for blues dance and blues music! We would hope that troupe members are active members of the blues community, attending blues classes and blues events in London and (preferably) also travelling to blues events to broaden your knowledge of the dance.
2. Dedication and commitment. We ask that you attend all sessions. As we only meet every fortnight we cover a lot of material every session. If you need to miss a session it will be your responsibility to catch up on what you missed before the following session.
3. Energy and ideas! All members will be encouraged to run warm ups, offer class ideas and have choreographic input.
4. Respect, support and the ability to work as part of a team. There is big emphasis on peer learning in The Down and Outs so being able to work as part of a team is just as important to us as your dancing skills!
5. Availability to perform. Please take into consideration the fact that you will be expected to perform. Many performances will take place at weekends at Swing Patrol events in London and at Blues events across Europe. We will always give you as much notice as possible for performances.
THE FINANCIAL STUFF…
You will need to pay a membership fee of £15 per fortnight via direct debit (this amount may change depending on exact numbers in the troupe). This money is used to pay for the venue hire and teaching costs. Any left over money is put into a ‘pot’ to pay for such things as competition entry / travel to local gigs etc.
HOW DO I AUDITION?
Auditions will be held on Thursday 31 January 2019.
To sign up for the audition please compete the registration form available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AjnBwMLdVIktn1m19CpjODNz7t9vX52MS0R2hCcyAXI
With love and the blues,
The Down and Outs